About This Blog

TLC's new program Craft Wars has inspired me to use their craft challenges to create my own unique crafts that I would make if I were on this TV show.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Hedgehog and Squirrels from Toilet Bowl Brushes!

BEFORE
AFTER
On the Thanksgiving Craft episode of Craft Wars one of the supplies was toilet brushes.  Kind of gross but hey, I thought of something great to make with them, and Fall-ish!  I bought two different shaped toilet bowl brushes.  For the hedgehog I used my hacksaw to cut off the entire handle right up to the bristles.  I spray painted the brush with nutmeg brown spray paint.  When dry I used a sponge brush and dabbed the edges with beige acrylic paint.  The face and body and made from a little felt, some top-stitch thread, and some batting, and two wiggly eyes.  This is something that definitely can be done in one hour or less.


I used the white and green brush for the squirrel.  I was able to pull the brush out of the handle really easily.  I sprayed this nutmeg brown as well.  The squirrel body was a little more complicated as I wanted to make it more like a plush animal.  I cut my shape for the front out of a copper colored felt.  Then for the back piece I cut the same basic shape but with about 3/4 inch extra on the edges.  For the back piece I added darts to the head and body so it would be rounded and fit the smaller front piece. The squirrel probably took me 1 1/2 hours to complete
AFTER
My Mantle (notice my plunger acorn!): Owl from Pier 1, Basket and Mushrooms from Target

No comments:

Post a Comment